Home made Berliner




 3-4 cups unsifted flour


1/4 cup sugar

1 1/2 teaspoon salt

1 1/4 cups warm water (105 to 115 deg F)

1 package active dry yeast

2 egg yolks,beaten

1/4 cup butter or margarine

grated rind of 1 lemon

1/4 cup plum or apricot jam



Mix 2 cups flour with sugar and salt. Make a well in the center and add 1/4 cup warm water and the yeast. Allow to rise 20 minutes. Add egg yolks, remaining water, and butter. Beat until well-blended. Add lemon rind and remaining flour until a soft dough is formed. Knead for 5-10 minutes, until dough is smooth and elastic. Place dough in a lightly greased bowl. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled in bulk, about 1 1/2 hours. Punch dough down. On lightly floured board roll dough 1/4 inch thick. cut dough into 2 inch rounds. On half of the rounds place about 1 teaspoons of jam or jelly. Moisten edges with water. Place a second round on top. Press firmly to seal edges. Let rise 15 minutes. Fry in deep fat heated to 375 degF. for 4 minutes on each side or until browned. Cut into first doughnut to be sure it is done in the center. Drain on absorbent paper and sprinkle with lots of sugar as the doughnuts are not sweet.


source : http://www.internationalrecipes.net/find/Berliner%20Krapfen


No comments:

About Me

I'm Proshat, the queen behind Proshat Kitchen. I've never attended a cooking class, although I'd love to. My cooking knowledge mostly comes from my lovely mom, a master chef in our family, and also leaning by doing. I really love this wonderful science and I'm still fascinated by it. I’m a senior researcher in energy and economy, recently finished my Ph.D. So I am not an expert cook, please do not refer my blog as a professional source. I start blogging as a way to keep track of my progress in the kitchen and to get rid of the pile of printed recipes with hand written notes. I mostly write about my general experiences and my baking adventures. I love trying new combos in our everyday bread. On my blog you will find lots of classic recipes with a personal touch. Except my husband, a couple of close friends are my main testers. Love you all!! If you have a recipe you'd like me to feature on my blog, drop me a line. I would also love to hear your thoughts. I'm so happy you took the time to visit my blog; it means so much to be. Hope you'll visit again soon :) Love, Proshat

Search This Blog